Top Tips For Keeping Your Food Fresher For Longer
Around 80 billion pounds of food is discarded on a yearly basis, yet up to 50 million Americans are short on food. This shows that we need to improve our storage methods so that the food we buy can remain edible for longer periods of time. By doing this you’ll also save a lot of money as your food shopping bill decreases. Here are the top tips on keeping common food items fresh:
- Peanut Butter: If you don’t want your peanut butter to go rock hard then store it upside down. This allows the oils to move through the jar and in effect increases the longevity of your peanut butter.
- Cheese: It’s important for a cheese to breathe while in storage. You can achieve this by covering it with wax paper. It will still dry out eventually, but it’s going to take a longer amount of time.
- Marshmallows, Bread, & Cake: These items must be kept moist by storing them on brown sugar. Simply throw in some brown sugar in a plastic box and place your food items on top.
- Maple Syrup: Ensure that maple syrup is stored in the refrigerator.
- Mushrooms: Store your mushrooms in a plastic bag. The plastic bag will cause mildew by trapping the moisture.